For many locals Summerfest kick-starts summer in Milwaukee.
Have you been to Summerfest yet?
I still haven't had the chance to make it to the "Big Gig" this year, but I'm hoping to get there on Wednesday night.
Until then, I figured I would compile a list of things to do in case you haven't gone yet or are planning to go more than once.
Summerfest continues until July 6, so you still have time to experience the "World's Largest Music Festival" once, twice or eleven times!
- Learn how to get in for free by clicking here
- Print your Summerfest tickets from home with NO fees. Just click here.
- Listen to the Emerging Artists Series every day from 3 to 8 p.m. at the U.S. Cellular Connections Stage, and then vote for your favorite band
- Take a shuttle from any of the park and ride locations
- Two words: Fried. Cheese.
- Get in for FREE on July 6 from noon until 3 p.m. for We Energies Free Day
- People watch – Summerfest brings out EVERYONE
- Listen to The Roots groove on the 4th
- Be a VIP on the Captain’s Deck
- Score a wristband for free lawn seats at the Marcus Amphitheater
- Ride the Skyglider
- Know what bands you want to see and where they are performing. Go from point A to Point B with a purpose.
- Support local music every day at the Cascio Interstate Music Groove Garage
- Watch a live newscast
- If you live less than five miles away, walk to the gates
- Bring ear plugs
- Learn how Summerfest has gone green
- Check out these emerging artists – Stunkenberg, People in Planes, American Taxi and Ra Ra Riot – sponsored by FM 102.1
- Watch the BMX Stunt Team at the Sentry SportsZone
- Try gator on a stick at Crawdaddy’s
- When it's über crowded, stroll the lake path
- Find good parking in greater Downtown by heading over here
- Have a martini at Jo Jo's Martini Lounge
- Sample everything from Thai beef jerky to shish-ke-bob and sauerbraten sandwiches to tamales at the Ethnic Village
- Wear really comfortable shoes that aren't open toe
- Text a friend so that everyone can see your message on the Text-2-Screen at the U.S. Cellular Connections Stage
- Buy a Summerfest T-shirt
- Please, leave your babies at home, oh, and the enormous strollers. Thank you.
- Chuckle at Comedy Sportz
- See your favorite radio DJ broadcast live
- Relax in the larger-than-life Legendary Leinenkugel’s Lounger
- Be responsible
- Tip the street performers
- Braid a mullet
- Ride your Hog and park for FREE
- For a sugar high or head freeze eat a giant Hawaiian Shave Ice
- Play hooky from work and get in for only $8 before 4 p.m.
- Tee up three balls for $6 at the Hole-In-One sponsored by Grand Geneva Resort and Spa and win great prizes
- Watch the water ski show
- Dance on a picnic table
- Pedal to the grounds, but remember to lock up your bicycle
- Chase the kiddies on the jungle gyms and slides at the Children’s PlayZone
- Learn about your favorite exotic animals at the Wild World of Animals
- Gobble up Saz’s mozzarella marinara
- Dress in layers. It might be hot during the day, but the lakefront gets quite chilly at night
- Wear deodorant. For everybody’s sake!
- Get away from the crowd and cool off at the same time in the Columbia St. Mary’s Cool Down Lounge
- Kick back in a real leather seat found on one of Midwest Airlines Boeing 717s
- Get lucky by playing free bingo at the Potawatomi Bingo Casino Stage and Pavilion
- Wear a big red smile – you know what I'm talkin' about.
Feel free to share your suggestions below and perhaps I'll add them to my list. Let's try to come up with 100 things!